Thursday, August 4, 2011

Be Careful What You Say

I'm sure anyone who is a parent remembers saying words or phrases
around their children they regret. Ridiculous is one I regret. When
frustrated I tend to say someone or something is ridiculous. Mature,
I know. My almost four year old now says it more often than I would like,
and even worse, sometimes she says that her daddy or mommy are 
ridiculous. We give her a stern look and remind her that isn't nice to say,
and yes, Mommy was wrong to say it in the first place. Sometimes though,
it's really hard not to laugh when your children repeat, in context, things 
you have said.


Yesterday, while in our "play room," James (21 months) pushed an entire
pile of completed puzzles off a shelf. Avalon looked at him with a serious,
exasperated look and said, "Really, James... really?" I bit my lip to keep 
from busting out in a huge laugh. How many times have I said that to my
kids after devastating mess occurs? 


Because Avalon is already emulating my parenting style, for the sake of my
distant, distant future grandchildren, I need to be sure I continue to be 
an example of unconditional love and mercy, yet firm on disciplinary issues,
such as not giving into tantrums. She is already informing us of who she will
marry, how many children she will have, and what she will be when she
grows up. The number of children increases continually. We're up to seven.
As for an occupation, she currently has decided on "mommy and baby doctor"
who also is a "hair cutter." 


I know "ridiculous" and sarcastic phrases like "really?" aren't bad per say, but
I do want to be sure everything I say is uplifting and honors God. 


Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is 
helpful for the building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit
those who listen. Ephesians 4:29 NIV



No comments:

Post a Comment