Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Tis the Season...

Christmas is my favorite time of year. I know, it sound cliche, but true
nonetheless. I love Christmas music, trimming the tree, and the wonder
on my children's faces as they rediscover all the ornaments on the 
tree. Of course, I have to stay vigilant with my two year old. He seems
to think the ornaments are there for him to remove. This is also the 
time of year I tend to make Toll House cookies, our family's favorite.


More than ever, this year, my heart has been impressed with the 
truth that it is more blessed to give than receive. The last couple
years have been particularly difficult for many people I know, and
I'm sure that you know as well. Personally, we are "tighter" financially
this year than I can ever remember. It's natural to want to take 
care of your own family first. Although we do have a responsibility
as parents to make sure our children's needs are met, we don't 
need as much as society tells us. Do we need to have an HD TV? 
Despite the male perspective that it is a bare necessity, it really isn't. 
Our children don't have to have the latest and coolest toy if it doesn't 
fit into the budget. 


I've been trying to instill an attitude of thankfulness in my children 
this year. They may not get everything they want, but we need to
be mindful of those less fortunate and thankful for what we do have.
Above all, the Lord is our Provider. He knows what we need before
we even ask and delights in us as His children. Matthew 7:9-11
speaks to this and says that if we who are human and sin give
good gifts to our children, how much more will our Father in 
Heaven?


When I was in college, I traveled to West Africa with my school on
a medical mission trip. We were there for 2 months. I'll never forget
the hospitality of the sweet people there, and how they gave to us
the more fortunate, even though they seemed to have nothing. God 
desires us to have a giving heart. The people I met in West Africa 
exemplified that perfectly. How much more can we give? Not only
material possessions to those less fortunate, but give of our time,
ourselves. Someone I know recently told me of a relative of hers
who has found herself and her child in an extremely unfortunate 
situation. I was able to give out of what I already have toward that 
situation. Let's be mindful of those around us this Christmas season.
Let's give of ourselves, our time, or our resources if possible. In 
doing so when shine the Light of Christ to those around us. 


I pray you and yours have a wonderful, fun filled Christmas season,
with sweet family gatherings, special memories, and giving hearts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment