Monday, May 9, 2011

Elephants as House Guests?

Times in life come when you have to make a decision. Will you make the right,
more difficult choice, or will you ignore the obvious elephant in the room, staring
you in the face? Sometimes we choose to see only what we want to, hoping the 
elephant will go away, but he doesn't. Some may try to hide the elephant under 
big blanket or arrange decor on either side of him so he'll blend into the room. 
But he's still there, eyes following your every movement, pleading for you to do 
the right thing. Will you acknowledge the elephant, facing your fears or anxiety?


All weekend, an elephant was my unwelcome guest. I didn't ask for him to visit,
but he came and waited patiently for me to work through my anxiety of confrontation, 
and not a negative confrontation, but a positive one. A confrontation that would lead
to a positive end. It was difficult, nonetheless. My heart was pounding as I dialed the
number and spoke to the person who could make a difference, the person who led
the elephant to my home in the first place. I had prayed furiously beforehand for God's
words to come from my mouth, for His peace to be upon me as I spoke, for His 
wisdom. God delivered. The other party was grateful for my call and for the guidance. 


Doing the more difficult, right thing, is just that - difficult but right. It takes courage
and fortitude. If you don't think you have what it takes, I have good news. Jesus 
Christ is our strength when we are weak, when we think we don't have what it
takes. It's important not only that we are obedient to God for ourselves and the one/s
that would benefit from our obedience, but also that we set the example for our 
children, passing on Godly morals and character to the next generation. I have 
also incorporated character education in my stories, making them fun and fanciful, 
but with a deeper truth woven within the fabric of the story. If you're encountering
a tough, moral decision, I pray you'll find the courage to do the right thing in God's 
Word. 


"Let brotherly love continue. Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for thereby some have entertained angels unawares. Remember those who are in prison, as though in prison with them, and those who are mistreated, since you also are in the body... . So we can confidently say, 'The Lord is my helper; I will not fear; what can man do to me?' " 
Hebrews 13:1-3, 6, ESV

3 comments:

  1. Yes, Tanya, I think we can all relate to those elephants--negative AND positive! You captured the thoughts beautifully in your reflection here. Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE your title for this post! We have all had our fair share of unwanted elephant guests. Thanks for a smile today. Be blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Cynthia, Jenni and Jody. Sometimes it's hard to even admit you're experiencing a moral dilemma. Of course, you should be able to make the right decision without even a moment of contemplation. I'm glad I'm not the only one who has hosted an elephant from time to time. :)

    ReplyDelete