Friday, March 9, 2012

Superhuman Mommy Senses

Earlier this week, my four year old darted away from the lunch table while 
my back was turned. Not only did I hear the swishing of wind made from 
her hasty escape, but I noted a flash of pink into the dining room from my 
extreme peripheral vision. Without turning around I calmly stated, "Avalon, 
come back to the table and finish your food." 


"How did you know where I was!?" she asked in amazement.


A scene from my childhood sparked in the recesses of my brain. "Don't 
you know that mommies have eyes in the backs of their heads?"


If it was possible for her eyes to grow wider, they did. "How did you get
them, Mommy? When did you get them?" 


I could literally see her logical young mind trying to make sense of my 
claim. "I got them when I became a mommy. You won't have eyes in the
back of your head until you become a mommy." She accepted the explanation 
without further questioning, a rarity, and returned to the table as instructed.


Today I stepped away from the kitchen for some reason and upon returning,
again she was nowhere to be seen. "Avalon, come back and finish your milk."
Instead of the much desired, "Yes, Mother," I heard a creeping then a lunge 
onto a love seat, the back of which faces the kitchen. I leaned over the couch,
and spied a disappointed face. 


"How did you know I was here?" her voice a bit exasperated. 


"I heard you. Don't you know mommies have super hearing?" This time no 
discussion ensued. 


Now in writing this, I think I may know why she wants to be a mommy and 
"only a mommy" when she grows up. Obviously, mommies have superhuman
abilities that other people are not fortunate enough to develop. Who wants 
to go to a job all day when you can have super hearing, extra eyes that permit
you to see everything, and not to mention an unnerving ability to sense when
someone is not telling the truth?


She'll be amazing no matter what she does in the future. Along with being 
proficient in whatever profession she chooses, I know she'll be an excellent
mother. 

2 comments:

  1. ah love this, love it when their eyes light up with amazement...and yes, we DO have eyes in the back of our heads, at least let's hope they keep thinking that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure she'll figure out sooner rather than later that I'm not
    blessed with extra eyes, but for now it's pretty fun! :)

    ReplyDelete