Friday, July 8, 2011

My Life: A Prayer List being Answered, Part 3




I am so thankful that God directs the steps of those who love and serve Him.

There were several different paths I could have traversed as I came into 
adulthood, various carriers I could have chosen. What I would be when
I grew up changed many times as I grew older, but I was sure to always
include in my prayers for God's will to come to pass in my career choice.

When I was eight or nine, I remember wanting to be an archeologist more
than anything. Discovering artifacts from an ancient civilization seemed
so interesting and adventurous. A few years later, I watched Raiders of the 
Lost Ark, and while I loved the movie, I decided I loved life much more than
risking falling prey to a fatal booby trap. Besides, there are finite number of
objects that are waiting to be discovered, not very good job security, I 
rationalized to myself and moved on. 

I turned to dreams of becoming a marine biologist. Again this was fascinating
and adventurous and certainly would be a good choice. For a brief time, my
sisters shared my dream, and we were to be famous marine biologist sisters
working together to... . I'm not sure what. I can't remember why I decided 
against marine biology, but it could have been something to do with
shark week on the discovery channel. 

I briefly considered being a doctor or a teacher, but the thought of misdiagnosing
someone or grading papers the rest of my life squashed those ideas. I even
thought of being a nurse for a while, but when I realized I'd have to give shots, 
causing pain, I changed my mind. I wanted to help people, not hurt them.

And so, when it was time for me to go away to school, I did so with my major
"undecided." Throughout the school year, I spent hours praying for God's 
direction. "I'll do anything," I prayed, "just tell me what you want me to do."
I didn't feel any strong leading one way or another. Then one day one of the
girls in my dorm asked why I wasn't going into nursing. She pointed out that I 
was always taking care of the girls who were sick on my floor. The more
I thought about it, the more it made sense. "But I don't want to give shots,"
I protested. She countered if that was the only thing holding me back, I 
should talk to one of the other nursing majors on my floor. I took her advise
and was assured that giving shots wasn't a big deal (in that you get over it
quickly) and more importantly it was for the patient's own good. 

I spent about a week praying about pursuing nursing, and afterwards, I felt a 
strong sense of peace. That was it. I was going to be a nurse. This was in
the spring semester of my freshman year. I had wasted some time taking
classes I didn't need and had missed some classes vital to the nursing track.
Then another obstacle occurred. My parents were financially unable to send
me back to ORU (Oral Roberts University). I was devastated. I knew this was
where God wanted me to earn my degree. Why was this happening? 

The next year, I attended a local community college and took the necessary
courses to get on track with the nursing program at ORU. After months of 
prayer, I informed my parents that they didn't have to provide a penny, but
God was going to send me back to ORU. Full of faith, I finished my second
year strong and submitted my paperwork and transcripts to ORU. My 
Grandma Rose unexpectedly paid for that year in full. I was thrilled. 
I returned my third year with a new appreciation and determination 
in my schooling. I was able to secure a private loan for my fourth year,
and for my fifth year (thanks to that first year of being "undecided") I 
joined ROTC for a one year scholarship with a 4 year commitment to
the Air Force upon my graduation. Had I known about the ROTC program
earlier I would have been able to skip the unfortunate private loan. 

I graduated in "03 Summa Cum Laude, passed my nursing boards the next 
month, left for San Antonio the month after that for 6 weeks of Field Training
(boot camp), was commissioned as an officer in the U.S. Air Force by the 
end of the summer, and so started my nursing/military career. I served in 
the USAF for four years and learned a ton of valuable lessons, both
professional and personal. Upon completing my obligation, I returned to
civilian life and accepted a job at a local hospital where I eventually 
found myself working on a postpartum ward. Not what I had pictured 
myself doing in nursing school (like cardiac ICU), but I believe God 
has guided me to my current position caring for new moms and babies.
I love it. Giving support to the new mom who isn't sure she has what it
takes to be a mom is so rewarding. 

I am so blessed, loving my job and where God has guided me. I am 
thankful for all the experiences I've had, leading me up to this point,
and forming into the person I am today. Our road in life isn't always 
easy, but when following God, it's always worthwhile. 

Trust in the LORD with all your heart; do not depend on your own 
understanding. Seek his will in all you do, and he will show you which 
path to take.  Proverbs 3: 5-6, NLT (New Living Translation)
   

2 comments:

  1. I so enjoyed learning more about you, Tanya! What a wealth of information you have at your fingertips for your stories! And hey, if you can do ALL of that, plus write, you've got the resolve to stay on the course to publication. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Cynthia. I have had my share of lessons in
    endurance. :) I do believe that God is faithful to
    complete what He has started in us. I'm so thankful
    for His hand on my life.

    ReplyDelete